Tuesday, January 17, 2017



Mortality.


The truth, at times jarring and painful, and at others, soft and liberating.

I read a book last week, it was really good. It's called When Breath Becomes Air. The story of a neurosurgeon and his relationship with death. It bears echoes of my relationship with death, and maybe yours too.

It's amazing that deep thinking on this reality is such a powerful force of clarification. One day I will die, and the most I can hope for when the time comes is to greet death as an old friend. A friend who has been beside me all along, not as an antagonist, but as a guide...if only I can learn to listen.

I once listened to a podcast of Jack Kornfield where he said something along the lines of; what matters at the end of life? Only this–how well did you love? It struck me and stuck in my mind. This. This is the truth. The transcendent, liberating, truth.

I find it is a really effective catalyst of self-appreciation. All the bullshit I used for self-flagellation evaporates, and I am left with a deep appreciation for my life. Compassion for myself flows easily and I see what a gift it is to be given this life.

thank you. thank you. thank you.

No comments: